2017 Vivace Music Competition
Rules and Regulations
Application Deadline: February 28, 2017
Competition Auditions – Sunday, April 2, 2017
Winners’ Concert – Sunday April 30, 2017
Location:“The Marian Center” Villa Maria Academy, 370 Central Avenue, Malvern, PA 19355
Vivace Competition is open to musician age 5-18 playing stringed instruments
Solo Violin, Viola, Cello and Double Bass
Winners are chosen from each instrument from each age category. All winners must meet a high standard of skill and artistry.
Solo Children’s Division#1 : Grade K-2
Solo Children’s Division #2: Grade 3-5
Solo Junior Division: Grade 6-8
Solo Senior Division: Grade 9-12
Children Ensemble Division: Grade K through 5
Junior Ensemble Division: Grade 6 through 8
Senior Ensemble Division: Grade 9 through 12
If an ensemble includes both Junior and senior students, it must compete as a Senior Ensemble. Ensembles must audition with the members specified on their registration form. Winning ensemble must perform with the same members who auditioned or they will forfeit their prize. No member substitutions are permitted.
Application Deadline:February 28,2017
Non-refundable Application fee:
Solo Children Division:$65–5 minutes (maximum)
Solo Junior and Senior Division:$80–10 minute (maximum)
Ensemble: $40 each member–10 minute (maximum)
The application must be done online and Fee must be postmarked by Feb. 28th, 2017. Applications postmarked after Feb. 28th, 2017 will not be accepted.
Your application WILL NOT be processed unless the application is complete.
Check Payable to Vivace
Ms. Leah Kim
*If paying by paypal–please include the contestant’s name in the note section.
- Each contestant will be assigned (NO requests) an audition time and notified in advance. You MUST have arrived and prepared IN ADVANCE of your audition time. If you arrive late you will be eliminated from the competition and your application fee will NOT be refunded.
- The music selection for the children division can be from Suzuki Books or similar. Junior and Senior Divisions should be part of a standard repertory from Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Modern Era. A Sonata/Sonatina movement or a part of another cyclic form (suite, prelude & fugue, concerto, etc)
- Memorization of the music selection is required for competition soloists.
- No changes in repertoire are allowed following submission of the application.
- Each contestant must provide his/her own accompanist if the chosen piece requires. Please note there will NOT be individual warm up room this year. **
- Maximum playing time will be five minutes (maximum) for Solo Children Division, ten minutes (maximum) for Solo Junior and Senior Division and all ensemble. Cuts may be necessary and this should be done at the discretion of the contestant’s teacher. The judge will stop the audition if the piece is longer than 5 min ( Solo Children),10 minutes (Solo Junior and Senior & Ensemble).
- There will be NO individual practice rooms but the gym area will be open for the warm up before the contestant’s scheduled competition time.
- Two copies of the solo to be performed must be provided by the contestant for the judges’ use. The copies must have all measures numbered and any cuts clearly marked. Be sure to wait for your music if you want your music returned.
- DECISIONS OF THE JUDGES WILL BE FINAL. The judges reserve the right to NOT present an award in any given category per their discretion.
There will be a Winners’ Concert for ALL winners (MANDATORY to attend/ perform.) Competition winners will be listed in the program and on the Vivace website.
- All winners must perform in the concert and attend the awards ceremony at the end of the program to receive winner’s certificate. The winners must perform the pieces exactly as they were approved for the audition, without additions or deletions.
If a chosen winner cannot perform, a next ranked candidate may be advanced.
- VIVACE MUSIC IDOL: At the end of the concert the audience will vote to pick two (2) Grand Prize winners. Whoever gets the most votes will be the official two Winners of the Audience Grand Prize Award. The winners receive a half tuition scholarship to participate in Chamber Strings Summer Camp 2017 (1 week session). Ensembles are not eligible for Grand Prize.
- Honorable Mention competition winners must be present at the Winner’s Concert to receive their certificates.
- In keeping with the vision, mission and method of Vivace and Chamber Strings, ALL winners who perform and ALL Honorable Mention awardees who attend the recital will be recognized and acknowledged for their effort and musical aspiration to enter and compete.
Please refer any questions regarding to: Ms. Leah Kim
Email: email@example.com Phone: 610-644-2551 ext 1044